Monday, December 20, 2010

How to Use the Disclaimer

One of the tools and techniques that I teach in the Law and Disorder seminar and that I encourage home inspectors to incorporate into their practice is the appropriate use of the disclaimer. While home inspectors and other real estate professionals know that there are many, many issues implicated in a home buying decision that are not going to be addressed or uncovered by a home inspection, their clients are almost universally unaware of that.

For example, a home inspection is not going to determine a property’s boundaries or whether appropriate permits for additions or improvements had been obtained. Nor will it address title or zoning issues. Or any of a myriad of other matters. Easements, covenants and the like.

Consequently you have to disclaim any responsibility for those issues. These are issues that are common to all properties.

You also have to disclaim responsibility for issues that are idiosyncratic to this property. The roof may have been covered by ice and snow. Therefore, you would have to disclaim any ability to offer an opinion on the roof.

Oftentimes, many areas of the home are inaccessible. Access to the attic or garage may be obstructed by an accumulation of stored items that inhibit visibility. Crawlspaces may have insufficient clearance.

If you are effectively prevented from inspecting any area of the property, you need to note it, corroborate your finding with photos and disclaim responsibility for those areas of the house.

You should also advise them to seek further review by the appropriate professional of any system or area for which you are disclaiming responsibility due to inaccessibility.

I am sometimes asked by home inspectors whether it is possible to have "too many disclaimers." I understand the concern. Can you have so many disclaimers in your report that they lose effectiveness? The reader’s eyes glaze over.

Have you ever purchased a step-ladder? You spend your first hour of ownership removing warning labels. I recently stayed in a hotel that had this advisory stenciled on the shower tiles: "PLACE SHOWER CURTAIN INSIDE TUB BEFORE TURNING ON THE SHOWER."

In our litigious culture, you have to warn people about everything. So the short answer is "No. You can not have too many disclaimers in your reports."

21 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Ferry,
    I am a partner at a small private home inspection firm and need to draw up a disclaimer to essentially state that we do not provide "TREK" inspection reports but rather a third party property condition report. Are there any suggestions or mock disclaimers that can provide a clear concise message stating our representations of the property through our documentation process that would not hold us liable against TREK inspection reports?

    William L. Roberts
    On Sight Pros- PROS Inspections
    wlrlkt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this informative article thanks for sharing your great post,wish you have a nice day,happy every day.

    Orlando Kissimmee home inspectors & Orlando Kissimmee home inspectors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great detailed information, I ll be visiting you more frequently, here is very interesting information.

    Buy Vacant Land in Mississauga & Condominiums in Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very generous of you for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and will love to learning more on this at future. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog more often with more useful information? Honestly It is extremely helpful for me.

    how to sell your house & quick house sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well..
    home inspection services tampa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for giving important information to training seekers,Keep posting useful information,Click below to find


    Third Party Inspection Services in India

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work!
    This is a nice blog. Thanks for posting such a blog. I found so much interesting information from this blog.

    Roof inspection software

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some really quality posts on this website , saved to favorites . Website

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is visibly a bunch to know about this. I believe you made various good points in features also. Website 

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again. brain injury attorney los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. WanheLaw

    ReplyDelete
  12. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity.. https://diylegalprep.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! https://apersonalinjurylawyer.net/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. medical claims lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. which of these would not cause your insurance rates to be higher?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. www.eliaandponto.com/michigan-no-fault-insurance-for-auto-owners/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whenever I have some free time, I visit blogs to get some useful info. Today, I found your blog with the help of Google. Believe me; I found it one of the most informative blog. Online Quran Academy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing such a great blog..I like your blog very much…..such a good information..
    Bankruptcy Lawyer Houston

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. goldberg persky & white michigan

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Canada Visa Types

    ReplyDelete