Thursday, December 16, 2010

Say Cheese! Take Plenty of Photos During Home Inspection

A question that comes up frequently at the Law and Disorder seminar is whether or not it is a good idea for home inspectors to take photos during the inspection. When I first started getting this question, I could not imagine any reason why anyone would ask that question. It turned out that a lot of home inspectors were afraid to take photos because they might later “prove” that the inspector missed something during the inspection, a decidedly counter-intuitive measure apparently based on a "your-word-against-mine" defense strategy.

I always advise home inspectors, though, to take lots of photos during their inspections because they will invariably prove conclusively that they did not miss something. About 50% of all claims against home inspectors are for conditions that were concealed at the time of the inspection. By carpeting, furniture, wall hangings, finished ceilings or other finished work. So having a lot of photos of the home is more likely to “prove” that a subsequently discovered defect was concealed at the time of the inspection.

Some years ago, I got a call from a home inspector in upstate Pennsylvania who wanted some advice on how to respond to a claim that his client was making. The client, a home builder, was contending that the inspector had missed a large crack in the foundation in the basement of the home and he wanted the inspector to pay for the repair.

When the inspector went to look at the crack, it was so prominent that he knew that there was no way in the world that he could have missed it.

I asked the inspector if he had actually been in the basement and he said that he had. I then asked him if he had called anything out in the basement. And he said that he had reported some small inactive moisture stains over by the staircase. Then I asked the key question: “Did you take a picture of the stains?” When he answered “Yes”, I high-fived the air, gave a fist pump and silently mouthed “Yes!!!!”

While the inspector did not have a photo of the area in dispute, he did have a photo that a. proved that he had been in the basement and b. strongly supported the proposition that it was highly unlikely that he would call out some rather minor issue in one area of the basement and yet miss a glaringly obvious major defect across the way.

Of course, it would have been much better had he had a photo of the site of the defect that conclusively demonstrated that there was no defect visible at the time of the inspection.

So make sure that you take a multitude of photographs throughout the house even though the vast majority of them are not going to be put into your report.

10 comments:

  1. Good work!

    Gary Smith
    SafeHome Inspections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Joe, thanks. I do take photos of congested garages and closets or rooms to show the limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice Joe. I once "missed" an entire false basement wall behind which the PO had concealed a badly deteriorated block wall. My photo showed the shelving previously there and loaded to the joists with stored possessions. Clearly, the PO had intended to conceal his work. So too did the judge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice Joe. I have been taking extensive pic's for a few years now, approx 250-400 for an average 2000-2500 sq/ft home. I keep these filed away on an external HD, just in case. My average report contains approx. 50 pic's. Before I finalize my report, I review all pic's for anything I may have overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent: I take lots of photo myself, the photo also help you make up your report. i.e making a report back at home you can tell from the photo if the garage double or single, what kind of roof, where is tha A/C etc. a picture is worth a thousand words and can save you thousand of dollars... photo, photo and more photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take what some might say is an excessive amount of photos. Obviously all don't go into the report. I take all the extra (non-report) photos and put them into a seperate folder called "add'l inspection photos". The inspection report, add'l photos etc are then burned to a c-d for my files, and also backed up to an external hard drive just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joe

    Good advise to new and old inspectors who don't know or understand the importance of documentation. I take pictures of just about everything I can using a wide angle lens which saves many other unnecessary photos, but enough to demonstrate I did in fact inspect the entire property.

    If there is even the slightest chance an item, system, or component is not functioning as intended or could possible fail in the near future the picture goes in the report (ie) a drain or water pipe (beginning, or has leaked in the past) goes into the report.

    A minor crack in the foundation of a home built in the mid 2000's when they were tossing homes up in the dark of the night, the foundation may not fail, but it has a higher possibility of failing than a foundation built in 1995, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!.
    tampa home inspector

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing as it is an excellent post would love to read your future post. website design dubai.

    roof repair Hollywood Florida
    roof maintenance Plantation, Florida

    ReplyDelete